1/30/11

Jenkins credits man he broke for scoring mark to guiding his career

 Courtesy Hofstra Athletic Communications
In Saturday's 65-60 loss to Drexel Charles Jenkins became the all-time leading scorer in Hofstra men's basketball history and senior guard credits the man he passed for this milestone Antoine Agudio for helping to guide his heralded Pride career.

"He took me under his wing when I first got here," said Jenkins of Agudio, who he played with as a freshman during the 2007/08 season. "It means a lot me just to be mentioned in the same breath as him because I remember how much buzz he had when he was here."

After red-shirting during the 2006/07 season Jenkins began his Hofstra career the next year and saw Agudio break the 43-year old program scoring record that had been held by Steve Nisenson. The one year Jenkins and Aguido were teammates Hofstra endured a disappointing 12-18 season after having made three straight trips to the NIT, but three years later the Pride are in prime position to finish in the top four in the Colonial Athletic Association and make a run at a conference title. As much of an accomplishment as breaking the Hofstra scoring mark is Jenkins is only concerned with winning and getting the Pride to its first NCAA Tournament appearance in a decade.

"The season is what is most important to me," said Jenkins. "When I leave Hofstra and I come back then this record will mean a lot to me but right now I've just got to worry about winning."

No comments:

Post a Comment